In 1926 the Paringa Building was constructed from plans drafted for J.K. Fleming. It was fitted out and occupied in the first few weeks of August that year. The Paringa shared, and continues to share a long association with the developing Adelaide Central Business District.
Originally the top floor of the Paringa was the studio for Adelaide’s first radio station 5DN; housing the studio and the control room. In his work the ‘History of Radio in South Australia 1897-1977’, J.F. Ross writes, "The studio, which was the largest of the rooms, was tastefully draped with heavy blue material, which enhanced the acoustic properties of the room…The complex house sound reproduction equipment such as gramophone turntables, magnetic pick-ups, an organ and a grand piano". 5DN had expanded its operations in Adelaide and therefore required the larger premises that the Paringa Building offered.
In 1928 the Adelaide phone directory records the diversity of the other occupants of the Paringa. Aside from the usual professional occupants (solicitors, accountants and land agents) the Paringa boasted several tailors, milliners and fashion designers, as well as a dance studio and the office of the National Academy of Music.
From 1937-58, the South Australian Housing Trust occupied the premises. After this time the Paringa was leased as office space to an array of community, government and commercial clients. In 1982, the Adelaide Review began its operation here.
The end on the 80’s saw the Paringa transformed into the boutique accommodation that it is today, offering travelers an affordable and central location for their exploration of the city. The Paringa is now included in SA History Trust’s Gilbert Place Heritage walk.